ARTCENA has coordinated the French delegation at the Prague Quadrennial for Performance Design and Space, which took place from the 6th to 16th June 2019.
This is done with the support of Ministry of Culture - Directorate General of Artistic Creation (DGCA), the Institut français, the Institut français – Prague, in cooperation with Nanterre-Amandiers, National centre for theatre.
Artistic Director: Philippe Quesne
Philippe Quesne, scenographer and director, director of Nanterre-Amandiers is the artistic director and coordinates the two pavilions of the French exhibition :
- A « Countries » pavillon, with one of his creations, seen here for the first time, Microcosm ;
- A « Schools » pavillon, that presents the work of a dedicated project team, the "Neuvième école", made up of students from the the eight establishments of French higher education teaching scenography.
The eight participating schools
The eight participating establishments of French higher education teaching scenography are:
- ensa - École nationale d’architecture de Nantes
- EnsAD - École nationale supérieure des arts décoratifs
- ENSATT - École nationale supérieure des arts et techniques du théâtre
- École nationale supérieure d’architecture Paris La Villette
- École nationale supérieure d’architecture Paris-Malaquais
- HEAR - Haute école des arts du Rhin
- École du Théâtre national de Strasbourg
- Université Sorbonne Nouvelle-Paris 3
The Prague Quadrennial
The Prague Quadrennial, celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2019, is the most important global event in the fields of scenography and performance design. It is organised by the Ministry of Culture of the Czech Republic and produced by the Art and Theater Institut. It presents scenography in the greatest sense of the term and in all its declinations as an art in and of itself, one that seeks to create performance spaces and imaginary worlds. Offering every four years a new vision and unveiling a new perspective on this discipline, the Quadrennial has asserted itself as an indispensable international platform for education and the sharing of experiences.
Prague Quadrennial site : http://www.pq.cz/
Public meetings all throughout the year
ARTCENA and its partners organise a series of meetings beyond the Quadrennial, inviting the public and industry professionals to join in moments of reflection on the craft of the scenographer or to the stages of development of the pavilions.
- July 13, 2018, Avignon. Launch debate “Writing with Scenography” in the courtyard of the Cloître Saint-Louis.
- November 26, 2018, Paris. Event ARTCENA/SACD “Dramaturgy of space” at the Maison des Auteurs of the SACD.
- March 23, 2019, Paris. Master class “The island, islet, refuge, survival” organised by the University Sorbonne-Nouvelle Paris 3. Go to page
A dedicated website
ARTCENA created a digital platform that is the window open on to the creation of the two French pavilions of 2019. These productions, coordinated by Philippe Quesne are devised in the construction workshops of Nanterre-Amandiers. Visitors to the site will find on this platform the stages of work of the students in scenography from the eight participating schools coordinated by Philippe Quesne thanks to multimedia documents – sketches, 3D images, photographs.
Press kit "France at the Prague Quadrennial"