With the aim of raising the international profile of francophone dramatic writing, ARTCENA has joined with the French Ministry of Culture, the French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs and the SACD (French Society of Dramatic Writers and Composers) to launch the Contxto network. The objective of this new network is to support the translation, promotion and international staging of works by Francophone playwrights.
A collaboration charter was signed on 27 February 2018 by ARTCENA, the French Ministry of Culture, the French Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs, the Institut Français and the SACD.
The objectives of Contxto
- To network the actors involved in the translation and distribution of French-language dramatic works abroad;
- to contribute to the funding, pooling and distribution of translated plays,
- to draw on the skills available in branches of the Institut Français and on their knowledge of local stakeholders.
Collaboration Charter of Contxto
Selection of texts
To build up the text pool, the members of the network rely on selections made by independent bodies, made up of professionals representatives of the theatrical landscape:
- the National Commission for Assistance in the Creation of Dramatic Texts,
- the jury of the Grand Prix for Dramatic Literature, as well as
- panels of experts set up in France and abroad
Once a year, ARTCENA submits a number of selected plays to the overseas branches of the Institut Français, who vote on them and adapt their chosen works to the local context and their own artistic visions.
Contxto is co-ordinated by ARTCENA, in support of the organisation's objective of supporting dramatic writing. With this objective in view, ARTCENA works to develop means of raising awareness of translated works and to promote and develop the network.
- ARTCENA (coordinator)
- The Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs
- The French Ministry of Culture
- The French Institute